Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Snow Day

Today is Wednesday, December 9, 2009. We are experiencing a BIG winter storm -- the epitome of inclement weather. The University of Wisconsin cancelled classes and encouraged all non-essential personnel to stay home. I'm non-essential personnel, but my husband needed to come in so I came, too. It's a great time to accomplish much without too much interference. Here is just a tidbit of interesting history:

Historical Note: Prior to December 9, 2009, the Campus has only been closed three times in recorded history due to snow. According to University Communications, the first time the campus was closed was on March 17, 1969 due to “a major snowstorm.” The second time the University was closed was in mid-morning on December 3, 1990 when Chancellor Donna Shalala decided to close the campus after 17” of snow fell in Madison over a 12-hour period. The third time was in the 2005-6 school year because of excess snow.

I was a freshman here on campus in 1969 -- hmmm -- I don't remember that snow day. On another note, yesterday marked the first time this semester that I have not gone to the Meriter Hospital Medical Library for my regularly scheduled practicum session -- because it is completed. I missed going. I really enjoyed that experience and hope to go back next semester for a Consumer Health Collection Development Project.


No comments:

Post a Comment